Tuesday 12 October 2010

INITIAL IDEAS

The three topics - Ethical, Ethnic, Street. From brainstorming ideas, I've picked out the more solid themes I think I can work with and create a trend from that is inventive and uniqiue from eachother. Below are my theme ideas :

Ethical - Sustainable Architecture & Design
Ethnic - Egyptian culture
Street - Street Art / Urban decay

ETHICAL

For my ethical theme, I want to look at sustainable design and architecture - re-inventing design and fashion inspired by sustainable sources. I've started researching by looking at 'Green Architecture' by James Wines, Ecouterre and Treehugger.com to find unique eco design. Using this topic, I hope to be further inspired by modern day sustainable buildings and architecture and the colours involved to create an original futuristic trend style.


Below are a few images I've found as starting points, specifically looking at space and shape :

Green Architecture By James Wines

Inhabitat.com
The above images are a examples of sustainable architecture that I will be looking at for inspiration to work from. As stated above, space and shape will be key influences within the trend that I will look at. Below is an example of how architecture has been inspired within fashion :

Stepinsidedesign.com

Does Fashion meet design or design meet fashion ? Ivforfashion.wordpress.com

Ivforfashion.wordpress.com
Looking at various different types of architecture and design, specially made from sustainable sources, I have found these images of unusual futuristic looking shoes, especially the image above. Both inspired by modern day innovative eco friendly architecture and design. The shapes of both shoes are very different but help me start to think about how I could look for and develop shapes in a similar way to design a trend from.


ETHNIC

I've started by looking into egyptian design from jewelery to interiors. I've recently come back from Egypt and I think the style and culture is something where I can definitely see where a trend can be inspired from which is unique and not like anything that has been a recurring trend. Just by beginning to look at the below images, there is an unlimited amount of vibrant colour, texture and pattern to design and create a trend from.


Image from the book - Treasures of Tutankhamun

Image from the book - Treasures of Tutankhamun


Coloured hills at an Egyptian Market - Flikr.com


Eyptian Colours - Pavilion Tone - Flikr.com


Egyptian Mandala - Flikr.com


Medieval style Egyptian sock - flikr.com

Egyptian Sekhem Colour - Book


STREET 

Artwork by Italian artist Blu in Zaragoza, Spain
My first thought for street was to look into street art and how I could interpret street art to design a fashion trend from. I've started looking into street artists such as Blu, Banksy, Frank Shepard Fairey and JR.

'Street art is defined as art that is created in public places and can take many forms. It can take many forms and encompasses a wide range of disciplines such as painting, sculpture, posters, street performances and stencilled pictures' - Wikipedia'.

I want to look at how street artists have responded to their environment and added to it and recreated elements of it to produce new art.


Blu's giant wall

Banksy


Banksy


JR's work



This is an image I found on 'Fashion Scout', which is from David Longshaw's SS 11 collection. I really like this image on the dress and what its showing - a girl smoking in front of what looks like an urban environment and how the image of the face has been brought forward. The inspriation behind his collection are from his skills in writing to create short quirky stories to then illustrate from. 

Cuba Gallery : Urban lightroom - Flikr.com
  

416152927 : Bilal040786 - Flikr.com

I love these images. I think both are really striking and have inspired another way I could intreprete 'street art', to not only look at street art in a grafitti sense but to look at street visuals and the way the urban environment really is


From speaking with Sarah James, this would broaden my original theme idea and have more of a sophisticated approach to it - how the environment has developed, become distressed, degraded in visually fascinating ways.


Below are a few images using the same concept from my own photography taken at a skate park in Bournemouth :











No comments:

Post a Comment